Monday, December 13, 2010

Birthday wishes

Today (Yesterday) has been one of the best birthdays ever. It had nothing to do with big party plans or super special plans, but more to do with a realization of my own.

Facebook has its flaws, mostly demonstrated in my life in the way it can completely distract me from being a productive student and worker, but one thing I like about it is that it notifies people of special events like birthdays. While one could think on the fact that most people would have no idea it was your birthday or forgotten you existed at all had it not been for a friendly technological reminder,;I love the fact that for a few moments it brings to mind people who I haven't thought of (unfortunately enough) in a while and then follows a flood of memories, conversations, meaningful moments, etc. with that person. I love those few moments, where I can reflect on blessings...and think about how I should be challenged to reflect on blessings (and see new blessings) daily.


Today instead of being in a car on my way to Tennessee, I spent a leisurely day with some family which allowed me to look over all of my facebook birthday wishes and texts and calls, etc.


Words cannot describe the Lord's power and presence in those messages. People from so many different areas of my life; teachers, high school friends, college classmates, family from all over, people who I played on sports teams with, people who I grew up with, bosses, those that I had been on mission trips with, pastors, camp friends, life-long friends, siblings, Sunday school teachers, grandparents, parents, adults who worked in the youth ministry, roommates, those who have known me my entire life, and those who have known me for only a few months. And some who fit multiple categories.


My heart was and is overflowing with gratitude, echos with rejoicing, and is burdened with responsibility.

One of these does not belong right? haha.

I could go on and on forever about how blessed I am. And whew, am I blessed.... When I think about how the Lord has provided for me. How he has encouraged me. How he has challenged me . . .(really could go on forever) I am speechless. I've given describing the ways in which I am blessed in general and in today's messages into words and I can't do it. I can't.

But I am also challenged by scripture that I have been praying through lately, Psalm 67.

May God be gracious to us and bless us
and make his face shine upon us,
that your ways may be known on earth,
your salvation among all nations.

May the peoples praise you, O God;
may all the people's praise you.
May the nations be glad and sign for joy,
for you rule the peoples justly
and guide the nations of the earth.
May the peoples praise you, O God;
may all the peoples praise you.
Then the land will yield its harvest,
and God, our God, will bless us.
God will bless us,
and all the ends of the earth will fear him.
Whew, I am blessed.
But this blessing is not for me. It is not for my glory. It's for His. I am burdened for all of my relationships when I reflect on my birthday wishes, and on the memories, the experiences, the meaningful conversations of the people who wrote them. I am challenged to use those blessings for His ways to be known on the earth and His salvation to all the nations.

No comments: