Sunday, November 7, 2010

Laugh until it hurts.

This past weekend I traveled to Jacksonville to do what we thought was a retreat, but what turned out to be an all-night youth lockin. We arrived at 6:30ish and after taking a quick tour went out to eat with the pastor before the students arrived at 9pm. They are currently looking for a youth pastor and could use all the help they could get.

We made some quick adjustments in plans, and did really well at just being flexible and going with the flow. Students began to arrive, and I was playing basketball in no-time. Part of my not understanding this was a lock-in, was me not bringing tennis-shoes, and therefore slip/sliding across the court and eventually playing bare-foot.

Battleball ensued next. We must have played at least 7 games, including one with students v. adults (adults won), and one of lifeguard, where my FUGE training definitely paid off. (Battleball made me miss the summer and staff for sure.)

We played a couple of fun team building games and then broke for pizza and worship. After their pastor spoke we played a few rounds of Mafia, in which I almost got into an altercation with a rather intense FSU fan. But no worries, Kaylyn kept her chaperon face on. . well at least at this point.

After card games. . more basketball. This time knockout which turned somehow into full court shots. (At this point, the adult Kaylyn should have come into play where I decide it's not a smart idea to throw a basketball softball style for thirty minutes across the gym.) Adult Kaylyn wasn't present (as per usual).

Then football. Remember how I was barefoot? Yea, that hurt a lot.

Around 3:30, the pastor said enough with the high-energy games (and I was so appreciative) and moved everyone upstairs for video games/sleep if anyone wanted it.

This is me, shortly after. I was a little punch-drunk, and a little silly. Remember this is 3:30.

Yea. I was so tired. But then at around 4, I got to have a jam session with some of our group and that gave me a little more energy. I love playing the guitar, and I love people who are patient with my lack of my musical gifts/talent.

Probably my favorite part of the night.

After that, somehow Ashli, Jessica, and I got designated as the all night chaperones to make sure there was no funny business going down with our mixed crowd. That's right folks. I was in charge of the Purple patrol.

Which basically meant I sat up while the church kids played card games, and got to talk with them until 6:30 when the youth pastor came back with doughnuts and we ate breakfast.

At 7:15, we loaded up and left. After the worst car-ride ever. . where I'm sure that I had lost the little sanity that I had, we got back to school at 9:30am.


Our group were troopers for sure. So much fun, so many laughs, and such good memories.

I was definitely reminded of many memories of youth activities and the adults who sacrificed sleep and time to hang out with hyper-active students like myself. I am so thankful for the mentors and adult figures in my life growing up who brought me up in Truth, and who worshiped God through the sacrifice of investment in others.

After I made it to my bed, I slept until 5pm, waking up very confused, I took a shower, ate, and fell back asleep at 8:30. Woke up a few times, but not for good until 12pm today. I don't know how many hours that is, but its a long time. I was sleeping for forever, and it really did a number to my clarity of time and date and everything.

Plus, those decisions like throwing a basketball full court for 30 minutes, and running around with no shoes came back to me in the form of sharp pains and sore, stiff muscles that I had forgotten existed.

So, I have a much greater appreciation for sleep and for rest. Don't think I'll be pulling an all-night for a while.

I'll have to post the very few pictures of this weekend on this blog when I upload them.

bee tea dubs . . . .This week I'm looking forward to my family coming to visit and spending some much needed time with them. I'm also looking forward to speaking at Vespers this week on worship, and I'm thankful for a God who is worshiped and glorified through things like knockout and laughter when we allow that to happen.

No comments: