Saturday, October 23, 2010

My Joy and my Delight

So when I was a freshman I had some pretty amazing friends who happened to be seniors. . They took me on trips to see plays and hung out with me and we cooked dinner together and made fun of cheesy movies and also had college football Saturdays. They just made my college transition a whole lot easier and I got to laugh a lot during the process.

One of them led my small group which was full of other new students who have become some of my closest friends. God definitely was in those friendships and in those moments of joy with some ladies who took the time to care about me and my life even though they didn't know me that well.

Those girls graduated and are in various places around the country and I get the opportunity to chill with them on rare occasion but I am still very thankful for the time we shared my freshman year and the impact they had on my life.

So tonight a group of my friends and I threw together a movie night with a bunch of the new students that we've met through small groups. . we were supposed to watch this movie Vernon. Vernon is a documentary on a small town in Florida and basically the best ever. It's just a bunch of interviews with old people from the town--you know the typical townies .. .pet opossums, sand in jars, worm farmers, and those two old guys who just sit down by the soda shop. It's a real jewel. However, due to some technical difficulties we could watch the classic, so we turned to a random option which led to a rather disturbing experience. . .but I know the Lord was in that too because we definitely bonded over the strange story unfolding on the screen.

We laughed and went to McDonalds for cheep ice cream only to run into a few townies of our own dressed in their finest. . leprechauns, pirates, and a few female characters that were unidentifiable. Then we went back to watch Aristocats--which I forgot how fun Disney movies are.

Tonight really reminded me of some of the times a couple years ago, but now I'm fulfilling a different role. It's so beautiful how the Lord allows people to change and still to be blessed. This year I have been blessed with the responsibility and opportunity to assume some leadership in small groups, and tonight I was blessed with blossoming friendships because of that leadership.


Bee Tea Dubs. . my prayer tonight. . .

"Send forth your light and your truth,
let them guide me;
let them bring me to your holy
mountain,
to the place where you dwell.
Then will I go to the altar of God,
to God, my joy and my delight."
-Psalm 43:3-4

1 comment:

Carrie Griffin said...

Yay! I'm a little late on reading this blog but I wish we had talked about these verses that week. I was praying through those too around that time!