Sunday, October 17, 2010

Back to the Future.

so this weekend was fall break for my school! whoo hoo. I was so happy to get a few days off campus (for the first time all semester--which is crazy!).

This was exciting for many reasons:

I got to visit with my grandparents. If you know much about me you've probably heard me talk about my grandparents. I love them a lot, a lot. . and I have a ton of respect for them--and I have an especially close relationship with my grandfather. One of my favorite people and I have so much respect for him.

The last time I saw him it was saddening because its difficult when you see people you love begin the slow fade from their personality, from their mental and physical stability, and ultimately from this world.

I was overjoyed to find my grandparents (overall) in much better condition during my visit. My grandfather had his sense of humor back (one that I SO enjoy) and t0 hear him and my grandmother be able to reminise on memories of my childhood and on thier childhood and just hear funny stories. Oh, man I love those people a lot.

Plus, the intense napping session we all had on Thursday was much needed and welcomed.

---

Friday I got the chance to visit with my friend Danielle. Danielle has been my best friend since the 6th grade and we've seen a lot together for sure. I love her company and she and I always get to laugh a lot together. (we also get to have a bunch of 'real' conversations that make my heart happy regardless of whether they are difficult questions or not).

We went to a really neat restaurant in Gainesville and I loved the atmosphere there. There was a junk museum and I just loved the hippyness. . .I'm glad my friend knows how weird I am and catered to that in her choice of restaurants.

water fountain statue thingy made out of random junk was a highlight for sure.

We also got to go to Gator Growl. . which was. . .overrated. . and we almost vomited on from a college student who had had his fair share of certain strong beverage choices.
But I love football, so I love just being in that stadium.
sidenote: I passed Steve Addazio on the way into Gator Growl and resisted the very real urge to boo him and tell him to start packing his bags. . .


Anyway, time with my friend is always too short but I'm thankful for getting to see her and visit her and add some more fun stories to the list . .or book rather of our friendship.

---

Friday night my parents came into town with my younger sister. I love my family and I rarely get to see them during the year because of distance which is something I find myself randomly still adjusting to sometimes.

We shared lots of laughs that night and its fun to see how family dynamics change as we (my sister and I) get older. Just fun times.

---

My sister had some social plans for Saturday, but my parents and I got to have lunch with one of my mentors and friends, Ms. Louise.

Ms. Louise deserves a blog of her own. I could go on and on about how the Lord has blessed my life through her wisdom and her compassion for people. She recently underwent surgery for cancer and is in the process of recovery.

We picked up my favorite Chinese restaurant food and brought it over to her house, where we sat and talked for probably 3 hours, prayed, laughed, cried, and enjoied each others company before leaving to let her get some rest.

---

Today was Homecoming at my grandparent's church. (My grandfather is a pastor at a small, country church in Lulu, FL. . yes.. that's right. . Lulu.)

Again, this church deserves a whole blog of its own. . a comedic blog. And I'm not sure many people unfamilar with country people would grasp the atmosphere I would describe. Anyway.

That was great--I got to laugh at a singer who sang some song to the tune of the YMCA. and I about died in my seat. literally.

Then, another man and his family sand Beulah Land--which was beautiful. I kind of chuckled because I had just had a conversation about how country churches pretty much sing this song as a special every week. But it was great and the message reminded me that all things work for those who are called according to His purpose.

Plus, dinner on the grounds = delish. (yea, "delish")

---

This town (not Lulu, but the neighboring town) was the town I grew up in, so it's always strange (i use this word because I'm not really sure what word to use to describe the emotions) to go visit. I pass by my old high and middle school, by the house that I grew up in, by my old friend's house, by softball fields where I spent pretty much every summer for 6 years. I pass by my old church building, and I visit friends that remind me of so many stories.

I sit at Ms. Louise's kitchen counter like I have done years before and look outside to a tire swing that I used to do extreme stunts on with my youth group and walk past a bedroom that I slept in for 3 Disciple Nows.

I talk to my grandparents who have those same favorite stories they tell you about yourself over and over and become your favorites too.

And you see your sister as a senior in high school, and your house has new people in it, and you barely recognize people you haven't seen in years and most of your friends don't live there anymore, and entire shopping centers have been torn down and just silly little things.

And a lot of emotion just hits me in the face. And i'm thrown into this odd feeling of nostaliga mixed with other things and it begins to put you into this haze that feelings do when they are given more power than they should have.

And the Beauty of the situation is that my God is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

The God of my years in that town and with those people is the same God who took me to Tennessee and blessed me with new friends from all over, and the God who is in control of my school and my friendships here, and the God of my future--whatever that may be.

To be so blessed. By memories, by long-distance friendships, by quality time with my favorite 92 year old and 82 year olds, and my family. (CRAZY BLESSED!)

---

bee tea dubs, thank You, Lord, for my past, my present, and, Oh Lord, thank you for what you are going to do...tomorrow, next month, and in the indefinite future.

No comments: