Sunday, September 26, 2010

At first I was Afraid; I was Petrified

This weekend was the new student retreat. We decided to go camping. Now, here's the thing. We're a motley crew. Got some complete weirdos. . .myself included. We've got some camping experts--real mountaineers (if we lived in the mountains that is) and some divas (3 showers in 24 hours and an air mattress. . really?) So this trip. The wilderness adventure that it was, was bound to be a success.

If by success you meant,
a1) coming to camp and realizing we've forgotten things such as:
-knives, trash bags, the griddle for pancakes the next morning, mayonnaise, ketsup, chips, ice, bottled water, bug spray, etc.

b2) a million degree weather + humidity factor

c3) almost getting attacked by a heard of raccoons.

d4) being the loudest people in the camp and pretty much being hated by all the peaceful families around us

e5) almost getting arrested by the cops for parking in a restricted area

Anyway, so it was an adventure to say the least. I think only 2 trips to the store were made. We survived the angry raccoons, and finally the authorities left us alone.

We survived.

and we did way more than survive.

I love camping trips. . . and not for the whole sleeping on the ground, no showering, smelly-smokey-grossness, bugs and elements, or to say I 'roughed it'. . but because I know when a group of people leave for trips where they are forced to experience something together they leave with a bond.

And that happened this weekend. I enjoyed getting to know our new students better and there are so many memories that staying in a hotel wouldn't have allowed--that having cell phones and facebook wouldn't have allowed. That's why I love camping.

I love adventure, but I love people more--or I try to love people...sometimes its harder than others..

. So the trip. . .a definite success.

My highlights were the following:
-the girls demolishing the guys in a tent building contest. . we were putting up street signs and installing electricity into our tent community before they had their single shack formed. glorious.

-playing the ninja game and not getting out during the first round for the first time ever. other fun games included Doomba circles, the Freeze game, 'zip-zap-zop'. . . which was probably my favorite for the shear fact that I got to see my friend Harrison dance throughout the circle. .

-racing on the way there and tag-teaming with 3 other cars to make Zach loose. Also. making the new students in my car value their lives a lot more after riding with me. and introduce them to my fabulous music choices/dance moves/vocals.
.. . ...they loved me. . . yea. i'm definitley their favorite upper classman.

-watching duncan cook our hamburgers, drop one on the ground, and then procede to wipe it off and put it back on the serving plate. and not saying anything. haha.

-midnight walk on the beach, having fish fly at us and brush by our feet, and watching the baby crabs. Also a highlight: faking that I saw a shark and then having someone say they thought they saw it. Psychology at it's best.

-life-contemplating-questions talks with friends on the beach at night. . .and sitting next to "creepers" that were 10 feet away that ended up being people from our group.

-laughing uncontrollably at nothing at all. and doing so with 5 other girls, and doing so at 2AM--in a silent camp site. and then getting yelled at to be quiet. and crying and hurting because of the laughter, and Sabrina almost choking to death, and it all being worth it.

-sunrise on the beach.

somethign about the beauty of a sunrise that really puts things into perspective. I could do nothing but think about undescribably the beauty of God's love for us is. How real it is. How big it is. I didn't really have words. Just amazed. over and over.

so. in summary. . .

a wonderful weekend of adventure, no sleep, and new friends.

I'll have to post pictures soon. . .

No comments: