Wednesday, July 27, 2011

True Life: Don't let your Dreams be Dreams

Well, I want to keep this short. Mostly because I have an awesome book sitting beside me that's calling my name. And also because I'll probably go long, but at least I've made it known that I wanted to keep this short. It's not like I'm starting off by saying "I hope to make this a long dissertation on the subject whereby wasting your time and being conceded enough to think that long rants of mine are worth reading. (whew)


I found a card in the store the other day: "You're on the right road if you're happy when you're lost." Wow did it really speak to me. There are so many moments thus far (in my short existence) where things have happened that I didn't think would fall on the "planned" path of my life. Friendships, experiences, obstacles, pain, travel, adventure, etc.

Most of those things have turned out to be life-altering--mostly for the better.

You're on the right road if you're happy when you're lost speaks about the moment. The joy of the journey, not the stress of figuring out where you're going.

As I get more adjusted to my adult life, (or the fake summer I'm having of it) it's harder to remember to dream. As I prepare for my final year of school (in the traditional setting) my mind shifts to the practical, to the planned, to the typical "adult" mindset which considers bills, and living situations, and family, and career...and less on "I want to back-pack Europe, write a book, and get another tattoo" (mom--those were just examples, no need to fret. I'm just sticking with my one)

I saw this quote on a pillow in the store as well: "Sometimes on your way to one dream you get lost and find a better one."

I want to commit to never stop chasing my dreams. It becomes harder to remain a dreamer as the practicalities of this adult life become more consuming. But I know it's possible. I know it's possible because I see hints of it in the lives of my friends. In books that I read, and when I look myself square in the face I know that above a lot of other things I'm stubborn.

It's going to take more than adulthood to squelch the wide-eyed child-like dreamer in me. And while I'll adjust to this new life, I get to enjoy being happy whilst I'm lost.


Bee Tea Dubs..."You're on the right road if you're happy when you're lost"

1 comment:

Claire said...

10 points for working "whilst" into the mix.

Hope you're enjoying The Help...will we be in the same place when it comes out, possibly? I forget the date...I loved the book though (my guess: your favorite character is Minnie).

What's been really comforting to me is just owning up to the knowledge that no matter how big I think I'm dreaming, He's probably got something bigger in mind. I guess it's both a comfort and a challenge.